Grade 7—Unit 7
iMovie, Windows Movie Maker, WeVideo
- Realize that God comes to us in His Word and Sacraments.
- Rejoice that all we need to know and receive for salvation comes to us as God’s gift in Christ Jesus through the Means of Grace.
Duration of Project:
Depending how you break up the video, this project could be done in as few as two days and as much as two weeks. I would recommend getting all of your footage of your pastor prior to filming your class.
Over the course of Unit 7, work with your class on memorizing the Christian Questions with Their Answers from Luther’s Small Catechism.
Once you are confident that your class has a good understanding of each of the questions and has them memorized, you can begin creating your class project.
Create a video montage of your entire class that cuts between your pastor asking the question, a student answering the question from memory, and then the student explaining what that means in his or her own words.
Consider using some of the stock audio that your video editing platform provides as background music for your video.
Critical Teaching Moment:
While this project will be fun, and the end product will be something that your students will be very proud of, it will be important to focus on the content. Think about embedding a little bit of assessment into the planning phases of the project to check for understanding with your students. Make sure that they are making a connection between what they are memorizing and what it actually means.
Here are some tips to help students out with this project.
- As a class, create flashcards on each day that you go over a new question.
- As you create the flashcard, have students write what this means in their own words.
- Have students turn in their created flashcards every day for you to read through to do a quick check for understanding. Then you can fill in any gaps and provide feedback the next day.
- Have students use their flashcards in groups with one another. Have them share what they wrote down in their own words (that you have already checked out).