Grade 4—Unit 7
KidBlog, Blogger, Discussion Board in your LMS
Duration of Project:
Including Lesson 73, this project should take two days.
- Repent of indifference to God’s Word, trusting in Jesus for forgiveness.
It is easy, especially for kids, to feel the burden of spreading the Gospel to others. Having spent a project talking about our vocations, hopefully, this is less of a burden, but children can drift to be very Law driven without thinking of the Gospel.
Read Matthew 13:1–30 with your students and complete Lesson 73 in your workbook. Be sure to spend time going over the footnotes that you find in your TLSB. Have a classroom discussion about the different types of “soil.” As you have the discussion, be sure to remind students about who provides the growth and the harvest (God).
After your discussion, have students write a blog post about what good soil means to them. Have them identify what good works are and who does/enables them.
Digital Citizenship Connection:
As students write their blog posts, encourage them to read and comment on other classmates’ posts. Here are some tips for you to use in your expectations:
- Students write in full sentences.
- Students need to respond to at least two different classmates’ posts.
- Students should keep comments positive and uplifting.
- When students find something they disagree with, they should pose that disagreement as a question rather than as a direct statement.
Teaching students about Jesus’ parables can sometimes be a complex task. Be sure to utilize verses 18–23 with all of your students and spend the appropriate amount of time on each description of soil. Consider having soil on hand as an illustration.
For students who struggle with comprehension, phrase their task in four separate questions for each type of soil.